Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

It Takes a Village


About a month ago, I spent the afternoon perusing the Winter Village at Bryant Park. I ended up getting some gifts... and socks from Bergies. I find I can never have enough socks. And these ones were "spa socks," which meant they were really soft and thicker, perfect for an NYC winter. Winning all around.

About a week later, I was going through some of the postcards and business cards from my spree and came across this: 

Take a picture, get some likes, and win an $80 six month sock subscription! If I were instafamous, this would be easy. Post the photo and immediately get hundreds of likes. Unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet but I noticed there were only a few posts so decided to try my luck.

I started with a photo and a handful of hashtags. Instagram caught on and didn't let me post anymore hashtags. Then I asked other #socks hashtag-ers to check out my photo! That got me to around 50 likes. I thought that would be enough to win until I checked out my competition a few days before the end of the contest.

I was 70 likes behind. I went into full hustle mode... Because if I didn't win the socks, I wanted it to be because I had tried everything I could. I reposted the photo on my Instagram, cross-posted on another account I managed, and consistently posted on Twitter. All I needed was a like. I wasn't asking anyone to create a new account or sign up for anything.

Then I went to facebook. I shared it in 3 communities I'm active in and asked them to help. I posted it on my facebook. I posted it on my sister's facebook. Two women from the Chloe + Isabel community got invested and shared my link on their personal facebook page and tagged people on my photo and encouraged them to like it.

I was overwhelmed by the support. For socks.

Truth is, I'm not sure any of the other entrants wanted it as badly as I did. But it was amazing for me to see the community come together. For socks. 

It really does take a village.



No comments:

Post a Comment